Not every company can say it has contributed to the advancement of an industry and offered exceptional services for 100 years. But Woolpert can.
A history of changing with the times. One hundred years ago, Woolpert was founded as a small surveying and engineering service in Dayton, Ohio, by Charlton Putnam. Throughout the early 1900s, Putnam focused on growing the Dayton-area landscape, housing and architecture markets, giving back to the community by initiating projects such as the Miami Conservancy District and contributing to the 1913 flood-relief efforts. Putnam’s company grew in the early 1900s to one draftsman and a three-man survey crew, joined by Ralph L. Woolpert, a civil engineer from Cedarville, Ohio. In 1930, it became known as Putnam & Woolpert.
In 1935, Putnam helped form the Dayton Housing Authority; at that same time, Ralph Woolpert took over leadership responsibilities for the firm. During the middle of the century, the company grew, with industry leaders recognizing the entrepreneurial spirit and advantages that come with working at our firm. The company built significant partnerships and grew services into wartime engineering in the 1940s, environmental and sanitary engineering in the 1950s and even photogrammetry in the late 1960s.
Throughout the latter half of the century, we added services and opened new offices—always with a focus on hiring industry leaders and working with the changing needs of clients. This focus cemented the culture that is still our foundation today—an ongoing desire to contribute to the advancement of the industry, driven by both exceptional employees and clients. After going through name changes in 1979 (Woolpert Consultants) and again in 1997 (Woolpert LLP), we finally incorporated, becoming Woolpert Inc. in 2005.
By 2010, with an ever-growing industry and a milestone centennial on the horizon, we implemented a new strategic plan—restructuring the company around three primary service lines, design, infrastructure management and geospatial. Now that we’re celebrating 100 years, we’ve rebranded with a new logo and look that represents the industry-leading, high-quality firm we’ve become.
Services above, on and beneath the Earth. The new logo—representing the work we do above, on and beneath the surface of the Earth—is a fresh take on the familiar flying-W logo that represented us for more than 30 years. It incorporates the blue and green that represent the sky and earth, tying in our efforts to preserve the quality of our environment through our energy and sustainability services. The logo recognizes the successful history of work that’s made us who we are today by including the familiar W, now divided in the center by a line representing the potential that lies just on the horizon.